With a growing organic sector in the fresh produce industry and increasing participation throughout the supply chain, IFPA aims to be at the forefront of organic policy issues that our members face. Recently, there have been policies and regulations that affect our industry, thus IFPA has created the Organics Committee as a resource for our industry.
With representation across the fresh fruit and vegetable supply chain, the Organics Committee brings a valuable perspective and level of expertise. The IFPA Government Relations team, with input from the Organics Committee, regularly meets and communicates with the Administration, Members of Congress and other stakeholders with regards to organic policy.
2022 Action Plan
- IFPA will work the Biden Administration and Congress to develop sensible polices within current and future organics regulation. This includes engagement with the USDA National Organic Program (NOP), the National Organic Standards Board (NOSB) and all new regulatory requirements or policy decisions.
Some of the policies that the produce industry is most affected by include:
Organic Policy Resources:
- National Organic Standards Board (NOSB)
- NOSB Current Members
- National Organic Program
- The Organic Insider
IFPA Organics Activities
- National Organic Program Priorities Listening Session Written Comments
- IFPA submitted written comments to the USDA's National Organic Program (NOP) as part of their Priorities Listening Session. This was an open call to the industry for comments on how to prioritize a backlog of proposals submitted to the NOP, primarily from the National Organic Standards Board (NOSB), as well as comments on the general structure of the NOP. IFPA took this opportunity to weigh in on behalf of members and the produce industry to emphasize the need to evaluate proposals for rule making with an objective, science-based approach, and to take into consideration the varying production methods and regions that are required to deliver consumers a full variety of organic produce.
- National Organic Standards Board (NOSB) Meeting Written Comments
- IFPA submitted written comments to the National Organic Standards Board (NOSB) as a part of their upcoming spring meeting and as part of their sunset review process for the allowed and prohibited substances on the national list. The NOSB is a federal advisory committee that consists of 15 members of the organic supply chain, including 4 growers. IFPA took this opportunity to voice to the NOSB the concerns of the fresh produce industry, including the need for a diverse set of tools to address pest management and other production concerns.
Important Upcoming Dates
- April 21-28, 2022 | National Organic Standards Board (NOSB) Meeting | Virtual
- May 9-11, 2022 | IFPA Policy & Regulatory Forum | Washington, DC
- July 13-14, 2022 | OPN Organic Produce Summit | Monterey, CA
- September 26-28, 2022 | IFPA The Washington Conference | Washington, DC
- October 27-29, 2022 | IFPA The Global Produce & Floral Show | Orlando, FL
- November 30-December 1, 2022 | OPN Organic Grower Summit | Monterey, CA
To learn more about Organic Policy, please contact: